The Next steps team is a tier two volunteer position
We believe that everyone should have the chance to serve. However, some roles have a higher level of responsibility and accountability.
To serve on the Next Steps Team volunteers must be on board with the following agreement.
We are a diverse church and have people from many different backgrounds. We love having unity amidst diversity. However, tier two volunteers need to be on board with the core beliefs held by Waterlife. A disagreement does not necessarily disqualify you from serving but the last thing we want to do is put you in a position where you feel pressured to teach or represent a view that you do not embrace. If you disagree or need clarification on these issues please address it with us.
Our mission: To lead people into a knowing, growing, and going relationship with Jesus.
Our core values:
- Jesus: Jesus drives our direction and decisions.
- Simplicity: We will never minimize what Jesus maximizes (we want to focus on the main mission instead of letting other things side track us).
- Service: We will serve God by serving others.
- Generosity: Jesus’s generosity toward us will generate generosity in us.
- Excellence: Excellence honors God, and God honors excellence.
- Faith: A step of faith is always a step in the right direction.
- Grace and Acceptance: We will receive people in love and treat them with grace.
Our mission and our values drive our direction. Therefore, we ask that our high impact leaders agree with the direction of the church.
- This means attending church regularly, helping to financially support our mission and being verbally supportive of the church.
- If you do not agree with the direction or decisions of the church, please bring that up with the staff. Please do not discuss negative opinions with the people you serve with.
About God: God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three personalities: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are equal and are one God.
About Jesus: Jesus is the Son of God. He is equal with the Father and Holy Spirit. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He rose from the dead to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He returned to Heaven and will come back to earth one day to reign as King.
About the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son. He lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer spiritual gifts. We seek to live under His control.
About the Bible: The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for living because it is inspired by God.
About Human Beings: People are made in the image of God, to be like Him in character. Although every person has tremendous potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called sin. Sin separates us from God and causes many problems in our life.
About Salvation: Salvation is God’s gift to us, but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self- improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty.
About Eternity: People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is hell. To be eternally in union with Him is Heaven.
We want our leaders to be known for their Christ-like character. This includes being generous, encouraging, and positive, not gossiping, mean or judgmental.
Waterlife holds to the belief that sex was created by God as an expression of intimacy between a man and woman within the context of marriage. A volunteer who embraces a behavior that conflicts with this teaching will eventually find themselves having to pretend to be something they are not. In an effort to protect you from a potentially awkward situation we ask the following:
- If you are involved in a sexual relationship or are cohabitating and are not married, we ask that you not lead as a tier-two volunteer at this time.
- If you are pursuing a same sex relationship, we ask that you not lead as a tier-two volunteer at this time.
- If you are married and are currently involved in a sexual relationship outside of your marriage, we ask that you net lead as a tier-two volunteer at this time.
Our tier two volunteers need to set a positive standard in regard to illegal drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
- We ask that tier two volunteers not use illegal drugs or abuse prescription drugs.
- We ask that tier two volunteers not serve or consume alcohol at Waterlife functions.
- If you personally consume alcohol please do so in a responsible manner, with moderation and sensitivity to others for whom alcohol use may be a sensitive issue.
- We ask that tobacco not be used at Waterlife functions by our tier two volunteers.
About Social Media
People who you lead or volunteer with will visit your social media accounts. If you are leading children or students, their parents will visit. While social media can be a great connection tool, it also serves a window into your life beyond Waterlife. In light of that, we ask that you leverage social media with your tier two role in mind. We realize this is a judgement call.